Islam: God's Message of Guidance to Humanity
By Hassan Ali El-Najjar
Table of Contents
II. Islam: The
Five Pillars of the Faith Structure
Allah, His Angels, Messengers, Messages, Latter Day, and Qadar
Watching Allah in What We Say and What We Do
2. The La (No) Commands
3. The Imperative Commands
*** Articles with Islamic
Articles with Islamic Perspective:
God's Message of Guidance to Humanity
The Scientific Evidence That God Exists and the Holy Quran Is His Message to Humanity
By Hassan Ali El-Najjar
Revised During Rabi' Al-Thani, 1438, January, 2017
الدليلُ العلميُ على وجودِ اللهِ ، سبحانهُ وتعالى ، وعلى أنَّ القرآنَ
الكريمَ هوَ رسالتُهُ للبشريةِ
الدليلُ العلميُ على وجودِ اللهِ ، سبحانهُ وتعالى ، وعلى أنَّ القرآنَ الكريمَ هوَ رسالتُهُ للبشريةِ
بقلم حسن على النجار
بقلم حسن على النجار
الثامن عشر من شوال 1428 -
29 أكتوبر 2007
الثامن عشر من شوال 1428 - 29 أكتوبر 2007
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
I seek refuge with God from the Stoned Shaitan (Satan)
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
At the beginning of the
21st Century, many people in the world no
longer believe in God. Even some of those who profess such belief are not
sure. Others have a distorted belief, which makes them behaving in misguided
and dangerous ways. In brief, there is a lot of ignorance on this Planet, at
this time, about the Creator of life and about His message to humanity,
which has been told in the religious Holy
A more important reason
for atheism is that leaders of many religions, including the major ones, put themselves
in a collision course with science. This has alienated the most educated and
most intelligent people and made them susceptible to atheism, indifference, or at least
not taking religion seriously.
So, how can this
problem of God’s existence be resolved?
To convince the most
intelligent beings on this Planet that there is a God and that He does
exist, scientific evidence supporting this fact has to be brought to the discussion.
The Holy Quran (pronounced in two
separate syllables Qur - an) is
full of such evidence. Actually, the Islamic Holy
The story of life on
Planet Earth, including human life, is told in the Holy Quran in a way
that would light up the eyes of
Examples of Verses Including Scientific Facts Just Explained or Discovered Recently
Some of the Quran verses explain facts about Earth, humans, and other creatures.
1. For example, in Verse 55: 33, there is an invitation for humans to fly, indicating the possibility of flying, more than 1428 years ago.
يَا مَعْشَرَ الْجِنِّ وَالْإِنسِ إِنِ اسْتَطَعْتُمْ أَن تَنفُذُوا مِنْ أَقْطَارِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ فَانفُذُوا ۚ لَا تَنفُذُونَ إِلَّا بِسُلْطَانٍ (الرحمن ، 55: 33)
O You jinn and men, if you can penetrate zones of the heavens and the Earth, then penetrate! You will never penetrate them except with power (Al-Ra'hman, 55: 33).
2. The Holy Quran tells us that there is intelligent life in outer space, where Allah (Praise to Him) is also worshipped and glorified.
وَلَهُ ۥ مَن فِى ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلأرۡضِۖ ڪُلٌّ۬ لَّهُ ۥ قَـٰنِتُونَ (الروم ، 30: 26).
To Him belongs whom are in the heavens and the Earth, all are devoutly obedient to Him (Al-Room, 30: 26).
In Verse 3: 83, Allah, praise to Him, also tells us about life in outer space saying:
أفَغَيۡرَ دِينِ ٱللَّهِ يَبۡغُونَ وَلَهُ ۥۤ أَسۡلَمَ مَن فِى ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلأرۡضِ طَوۡعً۬ا وَڪَرۡهً۬ا وَإِلَيۡهِ يُرۡجَعُونَ (آل عمران ، 3: 83).
Do they want other than the Religion of Allah? While (all) who are in the heavens and the Earth have willingly, or unwillingly, submitted to Him (as Muslims do), and to Him shall they be returned (Al-Imran, 3: 83).
إِن كُلُّ مَن فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ إِلَّا آتِي الرَّحْمَـٰنِ عَبْدًا
لَّقَدْ أَحْصَاهُمْ وَعَدَّهُمْ عَدًّا
وَكُلُّهُمْ آتِيهِ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ فَرْدًا (مريم ، 19: 93-95).
In Verses 19: 93-95, Allah, praise to Him, also says:
There is none in the heavens and the Earth but comes (on the Day of Judgment) to the Beneficent (Allah) as a (helpless) slave.
He does take an account of them, and has counted them exactly.
And all of them (are coming to Him) on the Day of Resurrection individually (alone) (Maryam, 19: 92-95).
In Verse 24: 41, Allah, praise to Him, also says:
أَلَمۡ تَرَ أَنَّ ٱللَّهَ يُسَبِّحُ لَهُ ۥ مَن فِى ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلأًرۡضِ وَٱلطَّيۡرُ صَـٰٓفَّـٰتٍ۬ۖ كُلٌّ۬ قَدۡ عَلِمَ صلاتَهُ ۥ وَتَسۡبِيحَهُ ۥۗ وَٱللَّهُ عَلِيمُۢ بِمَا يَفۡعَلُونَ (النور ، 24: 41).
Do not you see that Allah is praised by whoever in the heavens and the Earth, and (that) the birds are flying in lines? Each (category of creatures) knows its own prayer and praise. And Allah knows that they do.
3. Earth is described as egg-shaped (not a perfect circular globe), a fact which was discovered recently in the human history, as stated in Verse 79: 30:
وَالْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ دَحَاهَا (النازعات ، 79: 30).
And the Earth, after that, He made it egg-shaped (Al-Nazi'at, 79: 30).
The noun "da'hya" is used by North African Arabs in reference to an "egg." The author heard it by himself in the early 1970s in Libya. Other translators missed the meaning of the verb (da'haha, دَحَٮٰهَآ) translating it into "extended."
4. In Verses 16: 68-69, we are told that it is the female bee that makes honey, a very recent bit of knowledge for humans. We know now that male bees die after mating with the queen and live only for about 90 days. Only female bees survive to be the workers, which gather nectar and make honey. This bit of knowledge could never be known to humans before the invention and use of microscopes. It is another piece of evidence that the author of the Holy Quran could never be a human being about 1428 years ago. Rather, He is the All Knowledgeable One.
وَأَوْحَىٰ رَبُّكَ إِلَى النَّحْلِ أَنِ اتَّخِذِي مِنَ الْجِبَالِ بُيُوتًا وَمِنَ الشَّجَرِ وَمِمَّا يَعْرِشُونَ
ثُمَّ كُلِي مِن كُلِّ الثَّمَرَاتِ فَاسْلُكِي سُبُلَ رَبِّكِ ذُلُلًا ۚ يَخْرُجُ مِن بُطُونِهَا شَرَابٌ مُّخْتَلِفٌ أَلْوَانُهُ فِيهِ شِفَاءٌ لِّلنَّاسِ ۗ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَةً لِّقَوْمٍ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ (النحل ، 16: 68-69).
And your Lord inspired the female bees to take (build) its houses (hives) on mountains, trees, and in (people's) gardens
Then (you female bee) eat from all the fruits and (you female bee) follow the ways of your Lord laid down (for you). There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing (cure) for people. In that, (there) is a sign for a people who give thought (Al-Na'hl, 16: 68-69).
In dealing with Verse 16: 68, some translators did not pay attention to the feminine form of the Arabic verb (اتَّخِذِي), which refers to female bees in particular, not bees in general. The same meaning is confirmed in Verse 69, in verbs (كُلِي), which means "you female bee eat," and verb (فَاسْلُكِي), which means "you female bee follow."
5. In Verse 27: 18, there is a reference to a female ant speaking to other ants, which is also a recent bit of knowledge. We know now that male ants die after mating with the queen and only female ants survive to be the workers, just like the case with bees mentioned above. This bit of knowledge could never be known to humans before the invention and use of microscopes and the advanced studies in biology.
ققَالَتْ نَمْلَةٌ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّمْلُ ادْخُلُوا مَسَاكِنَكُمْ ۡ (النمل ، 27: 18).
" ... a female ant said: "O you ants enter your dwellings" (Al-Nahl, 27: 18).
Several translators, also in this verse, did not pay attention to the feminine form of the Arabic noun (نَمْلَةٌ), which refers to "a singular female ant."
6. Verse 24: 40, provides us with an accurate description of deep waters in the ocean, where darkness prevails. Nobody could dive deep enough in the ocean more than 1400 years ago and come back to tell about what he saw there. Only the One who has created Earth and its oceans could know. For us, Philippe Causteau and his crew showed us some videos about only some parts of the ocean depth, in the 1980s.
أوۡ كَظُلُمَـٰتٍ۬ فِى بَحۡرٍ۬ لُّجِّىٍّ۬ يَغۡشَٮٰهُ مَوۡجٌ۬ مِّن فَوۡقِهِۦ مَوۡجٌ۬ مِّن فَوۡقِهِۦ سَحَابٌ۬ۚ ظُلُمَـٰتُۢ بَعۡضُہَا فَوۡقَ بَعۡضٍ إِذَآ أَخۡرَجَ يَدَهُ ۥ لَمۡ يَكَدۡ يَرَٮٰهَاۗ وَمَن لَّمۡ يَجۡعَلِ ٱللَّهُ لَهُ ۥ نُورً۬ا فَمَا لَهُ ۥ مِن نُّورٍ (النور ، 24: 40).
Or (the Unbelievers' state) is like layers of darkness in a vast deep ocean overwhelmed with waves topped by waves, topped by clouds: Layers of darkness, one above another, if a man stretches out his hand, he can hardly see it! For anyone to whom Allah does not make light, he has no light (Al-Noor, 24: 40).
7. In Verse 24: 43, Allah, praise to Him, vividly describes the water cycle, from winds to clouds, then to rain. He says:
ألَمۡ تَرَ أَنَّ ٱللَّهَ يُزۡجِى سَحَابً۬ا ثُمَّ يُؤَلِّفُ بَيۡنَهُ ۥ ثُمَّ يَجۡعَلُهُ ۥ رُكَامً۬ا فَتَرَى ٱلۡوَدۡقَ يَخۡرُجُ مِنۡ خِلَـٰلِهِۦ وَيُنَزِّلُ مِنَ ٱلسَّمَآءِ مِن جِبَالٍ۬ فِيہَا مِنۢ بَرَدٍ۬ فَيُصِيبُ بِهِۦ مَن يَشَآءُ وَيَصۡرِفُهُ ۥ عَن مَّن يَشَآءُۖ يَكَادُ سَنَا بَرۡقِهِۦ يَذۡهَبُ بِٱلأًبۡصَـٰرِ (النور ، 24: 43).
Do not you see that Allah makes the clouds move gently, then joins them together, then makes them into a heap? Then, you will see rain coming out of it. And He sends down hail from the sky mountains (of clouds). He strikes with it whom He wills and He turns it away from whom He wills. The vivid flash of its lightning is close to blinding the sights (of people) (Al-Noor, 24: 43).
In Verse 30: 48, Allah, praise to Him, also says:
ٱللَّهُ ٱلَّذِى يُرۡسِلُ ٱلرِّيَـٰحَ فَتُثِيرُ سَحَابً۬ا فَيَبۡسُطُهُ ۥ فِى ٱلسَّمَآءِ كَيۡفَ يَشَآءُ وَيَجۡعَلُهُ ۥ كِسَفً۬ا فَتَرَى ٱلۡوَدۡقَ يَخۡرُجُ مِنۡ خِلَـٰلِهِۦۖ فَإِذَآ أَصَابَ بِهِۦ مَن يَشَآءُ مِنۡ عِبَادِهِۦۤ إِذَا هُمۡ يَسۡتَبۡشِرُونَ (الروم ، 30: 48).
It is Allah Who sends the Winds, and they raise the Clouds. Then, He spreads them in the sky as He wills, and break them into fragments, until you see rain-drops coming out from the midst of it. When He makes them reach whoever He wills of his servants, then they rejoice! (Al-Room, 30: 48).
8. In Verse 20: 53, we read in the Holy Quran that Allah (Praise to Him) has created plants in pairs (male and female) in order for plant reproductive activities to happen leading to giving us the fruits we enjoy on this Planet.
This pairing can be found in two separate plants producing the same fruit (such as date-palm trees), or in two different flowers in the same plant (such as cucumbers), or in the same flower containing male and female organs (pistils and stamens).
وَأَنزَلَ مِنَ ٱلسَّمَآءِ مَآءً۬ فَأَخۡرَجۡنَا بِهِۦۤ أَزۡوَٲجً۬ا مِّن نَّبَاتٍ۬ شَتَّىٰ (طه ، 20: 53).
"... and (God) has sent down water from the sky. With it, We have produced diverse pairs of plants (Taha, 20: 53).
In Verse 13: 3, Allah, praise to Him, says:
وَمِن كُلِّ ٱلثَّمَرَٲتِ جَعَلَ فِيہَا زَوۡجَيۡنِ ٱثۡنَيۡنِۖ (الرعد ، 13: 3).
"and of all fruits, He made in them pairs, two each (a male and a female) (Al-Ra'd, 13: 3).
In Verse 31: 10, Allah, praise to Him, also says:
وَأَنزَلۡنَا مِنَ ٱلسَّمَآءِ مَآءً۬ فَأَنۢبَتۡنَا فِيہَا مِن ڪُلِّ زَوۡجٍ۬ كَرِيمٍ (لقمان ، 31: 10).
We send down water from the sky, (in order that) We cause goodly pairs to grow out of it (of earth) (Luqman, 31: 10).
In Verse 36: 36, Allah, praise to Him, also says:
سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ الْأَزْوَاجَ كُلَّهَا مِمَّا تُنبِتُ الْأَرْضُ وَمِنْ أَنفُسِهِمْ وَمِمَّا لَا يَعْلَمُونَ (يس ، 36: 36).
Glory to Him, Who created all pairs, of what the earth produces, of themselves (humans), and of others unknown to them (Ya Seen, 36: 36).
9. In Verse 11: 7, Allah praise to Him stated that His Throne was on water before He created the heavens and the Earth. So, water preceded the formation of our solar system, as scientists concluded in their most recent research (see: Water on Earth Predates the Solar System, and Even the Sun).
وَهُوَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ فِي سِتَّةِ أَيَّامٍ وَكَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاءِ (هود ، 11: 7).
And it is He who created the heavens and the Earth in six days - and His Throne had been upon water (Hood, 11: 7 of the Holy Quran).
In Verse 21: 30, Allah,
praise to Him,
tells us that
the heavens and the Earth were a
joined entity, and He splintered (separated) them and that He created every living thing (in
them) out of water, which was already there.
10. In Verse 21: 30, Allah, praise to Him, tells us that the heavens and the Earth were a joined entity, and He splintered (separated) them and that He created every living thing (in them) out of water, which was already there.
أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا ۖ وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاءِ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ ۖ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ (الأنبياء ، 21: 30).
Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the Earth were a joined entity, and We splintered (separated) them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe? (Al-Anbiya, 21: 30 of the Holy Quran).
More of the Scientific Evidence in the Holy Quran
4. A Brief Illustrated Guide To Understanding Islam By I. A. Ibrahim and 12 others
6. The Bible, the Qur'an, and Science By Maurice Bucaille
Hassan Ali El-Najjar has a Ph.D. in Sociology and a Master’s degree in
Cultural Anthropology from the University of Georgia, USA.
Yahiya Emerick mentioned some of the above verses on pages 24-27 of his educational book, "What Islam Is All About." (1997). New York: IBTS.
The author’s translation of the meanings of
the verses mentioned in this article is solely his responsibility though he
consulted with three other translations of the Holy Qur’an, namely those of
Yusuf Ali, Mohsin, and Picthal, found at
www.quranexplorer.com. He also
consulted later with the Sahih International translation, found at
author also made use of the famous
advised that it is the meaning of the verses which is translated and
interpreted here. It is a human
effort that may be fallible and erroneous. Further, there are differences
between a translator and another and between an interpreter and another due
to differences in their linguistic, academic,
and cul There is no claim of ultimate accuracy in the translation,
as verses of the Holy Quran can be best understood through the Arabic text
There is no claim of ultimate accuracy in the translation, as verses of the Holy Quran can be best understood through the Arabic text of revelation.
The following is a chapter of a book authored by I. A. Ibrahim but assisted by 12 other editors.
It is titled, "A Brief Illustrated Guide To Understanding Islam," published at: www.islam-guide.com as below.
Internet links to the book sections:
Above book sections but without photos:
I. A. Ibrahim
Dr. William (Daoud) Peachy
Michael (Abdul-Hakim) Thomas
Tony (Abu-Khaliyl) Sylvester
Professor Harold Stewart Kuofi
Professor F. A. State
Professor Mahjoub O. Taha
Professor Ahmad Allam
Professor Salman Sultan
Associate Professor H. O. Sindi
Publication Information on the Book:
Below is publication information on the book, A Brief Illustrated Guide To Understanding Islam:
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 97-67654
Darussalam, Publishers and Distributors, Houston, Texas, USA.
This web site is a brief guide to understanding Islam. It consists of three chapters.
The first chapter, Some Evidence for the Truth of Islam, answers some important questions which some people ask:
- Is the Qur'an truly the literal word of God, revealed by Him?
- Is Muhammad 1 truly a prophet sent by God?
- Is Islam truly a religion from God?
In this chapter, six kinds of evidence are mentioned:
1) The Scientific Miracles in the Holy Qur'an: This section discusses (with illustrations) some recently discovered scientific facts mentioned in the Holy Qur'an, which was revealed fourteen centuries ago.
2) The Great Challenge to Produce One Chapter Like the Chapters of the Holy Qur'an: In the Qur'an, God challenged all human beings to produce a single chapter like the chapters of the Qur'an. Ever since the Qur'an was revealed, fourteen centuries ago, until this day, no one has been able to meet this challenge, even though the smallest chapter in the Quran (Chapter 108) is only ten words.
3) Biblical Prophecies on the Advent of Muhammad , the Prophet of Islam: In this section, some of the Biblical prophecies on the advent of the Prophet Muhammad are discussed.
4) The Verses in the Quran That Mention Future Events Which Later Came to Pass: The Quran mentioned future events which later came to pass, for example, the victory of the Romans over the Persians.
5) Miracles Performed by the Prophet Muhammad : Many miracles were performed by the Prophet Muhammad . These miracles were witnessed by many people.
6) The Simple Life of Muhammad : This clearly indicates that Muhammad was not a false prophet who claimed prophethood to attain material gains, greatness, or power.
From these six kinds of evidence, we conclude that:
- The Quran must be the literal word of God, revealed by Him.
- Muhammad is truly a prophet sent by God.
- Islam is truly a religion from God.
If we would like to know if a religion is true or false, we should not depend on our emotions, feelings, or traditions. Rather, we should depend on our reason and intellect. When God sent the prophets, He supported them with miracles and evidence which proved that they were truly prophets sent by God and hence that the religion they came with is true.
The second chapter, Some Benefits of Islam, mentions some of the benefits that Islam provides for the individual, such as:
1) The Door to Eternal Paradise
2) Salvation from Hellfire
3) Real Happiness and Inner Peace
4) Forgiveness for All Previous Sins.
The third chapter, General Information on Islam, provides general information on Islam, corrects some misconceptions about it, and answers some commonly asked questions, such as:
- What does Islam say about terrorism?
- What is
the status of women in Islam?
Hassan Ali El-Najjar has a Ph.D. in Sociology and a Master’s degree in
Cultural Anthropology from the University of Georgia, USA.
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah's.