Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
Opinion Editorials, September 2013
Obama and Abbas in the UN:
By Mazin Qumsiyeh
Al-Jazeerah, CCUN, September 30, 2013
In my trip to Poland two weeks ago, I challenged Mr. Robert Wexler, a life-long Israeli-apologist who was a US Congressman and now runs a Zionist non-governmental organization. I also asked him “if indeed you did not effectively work for AIPAC, why did you vote yes for every single AIPAC bill in your 18 years in Congress including all the bills promoting US wars for Israel?” He did not have an answer. Wexler is being groomed to be the next Jewish Zionist who will take over as a “peace envoy” in the endless peace process [industry].
Yet we learn that Mr. Abbas [term long expired, disdained by Palestinians not employed by his authority] chose to elevate Mr. Wexler by having him host a meeting with right-wing Jewish American establishment figures to "reassure them." What did Mr. Abbas tell the gathered pro-apartheid leaders? As documented by notes to reporters handed out by Mr. Wexler’s outfit, Mr. Abbas:
- condemned the killing of two Israeli occupation/apartheid soldiers who were enforcing occupation and apartheid
- said that he had agreed to resume negotiations by Israeli conditions (suspension of going to UN agencies for basic human rights of the Palestinians).
- he begged the audience and the Israeli government to work to stop settlement "expansion" (previously he had said we will not go back to negotiations without this). These colonies are actually a crime against humanity per International law (see ruling of the International Court of Justice).
- he said that six of his eight grandchildren attended “seeds of peace” program with Israeli youth (an outfit normalizing occupation)
- he repeated his mantra that the 2000-2005 intifada was “wrong”. This was latest of 14 uprisings against the brutal colonization of Palestine ( international law supports resistance to occupation by all means).
- he stated that the US is the key to the “peace process”[industry]. The
US administration continues to give billions to support Israeli apartheid
and to have Mr. John Kerry lead this “process” (who also voted in the Senate
strongly for AIPAC bills). President Obama focused his speech at the UN and
his policies to protect his paymasters in Tel Aviv by lie after lie.
I think every Arab with dignity must read the speeches of global leaders
at the United nations including the president of Brazil (who devoted half
her talk to chastise the US for its illegal spying) and the US president who
lied at just about every other sentence of his lengthy speech.
Final thought: I wish more world leaders talk about nuclear and chemical stockpiles in Israel and the US. It is time to either wrestle the UN out of the grip of the US or reform the USA so that it is no longer dominated by the Israel lobby.
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org