Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
News, January 2018
43 Yemenis Killed in Saudi-Led Air Strikes and Houthi Attacks
January 31, 2018
The following news stories are from the Yemeni independent website Al-Masdar ( http://www.almasdaronline.com/category/42 ):
government forces ambush 15 Houthis in Al-Jawf province
On Wednesday, About 15 Houthi gunmen were killed in a crowd set up by
government soldiers in Khab al Shaab district of Al-Jawf province,
northern the country, A military source said
Aden clashes escalate, 3 separatists senior officers killes
The fighting between the presidential protection forces and forces
loyal to the "Southern Transition Council" escalated on Monday in
Khormaksar district of Aden, the interim capital of southern Yemen.
Coalition raid kills six Houthis southern Taiz
Six Houthi gunmen were killed on Monday in an air raid launched by
the Saudi-led Arab coalition which targeted their car in Hamala mountain
in al Raheda area southern Taiz province, southwestern Yemen, a local
source told Almasderonline.
Marib: Seven government soldiers, 12 Houthi gunmen killed in
On Saturday evening, Seven government soldiers were killed, including
a senior officer, and 12 Houthis gunmen in battles between the two sides
in Helan Mountain of Sirwah district western Marib city, a military
President Hadi abstained political activities to protest
against UAE support the southern separatists
The Vice President Ali Mohsen Al-Ahmar on Monday held a meeting with
political leaders in Riyadh to discuss the formation of a broad
political coalition which was scheduled to be held by the President
Abdrubo Mansour Hadi, a military source said.
The following news stories are from the pro-Houthi website Yemen Extra (http://www.yemenextra.net/):
Clashes torn Yemen’s Aden
Jan 30, 2018, YemenExtra, Y.A
Sporadic gunfire went on in Aden on Monday as Yemeni separatists established control over several government buildings in the city. Windows were left shattered and the separatists patrolled in armed vehicles, footage shows.
Earlier the Yemeni port city witnesses clashes between forces of Saudi-backed President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi and the United Arab Emirates-backed southern separatists.
The recent unrest has already claimed a reported 10 lives.
Tensions had been high since the Southern Transitional Council, supported by the UAE, demanded the Saudi-backed government to resign. Fighting broke out as the deadline for President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to dismiss the cabinet expired on Saturday.
Coalition’s warplanes target the Yemeni capital with seven raids
Jan 31, 2018, YemenExtra
The US-backed Saudi-led coalition warplanes launched seven airstrikes on the north of Yemen’s capital Sanaa at mid night of Tuesday,a military source told YemenExtra.
Five airstrikes were waged on Hishayshiyah area of Sha’aub district, and two on Sharia area of Bani-Hushaish district, the source added.
Fresh Saudi Crime: 5 Civilians Killed in Saada
Jan 30, 2018, YemenExtra, M.A.
Five citizens were killed on Monday as a result of a raid waged by the Saudi-led coalition on the home of a citizen in Saada governorate, northern Yemen.
The airstrike targeted a house in the area of Bani Moin, Razih district, which led to the death of 5 citizens, local source reported to YemenExtra.
The warplanes launched 8 raids, including cluster bombs on the area of Alaf in the district of Suhar, while 3 additional raids hit Emarah and Jabl Mahjoubah regions in Kataf district, sources added.
Meanwhile, the rocket and artillery attacks targeted the bordering districts of Razih and Shada.
Earlier on Monday, a child was killed in the day by a bomb explosion from the remnants of the Saudi-led coalition in the area of Afra in Munabeh bordering district.
At least seven civilians killed, injured in Saudi raids on Sana’a
Jan 30, 2018, YemenExtra, M.A.
On Tuesday, 5 citizens were killed and two were injured following raids conducted by the Saudi-led coalition on Arhab district based in Sana’a governorate.
Nearly 5 have been reported killed while two others sustained wounds in four raids waged by the warplanes of the Saudi-led coalition on a government compound in Beit Maran, Arhab district, local source reported to YemenExtra.
This horrendous crime comes hours after a similar crime in the Bani Mu’in district of Razih district in Saada, where five members of the same family lost their lives.
6 Yemenis killed in 31 Saudi American airstrikes over Monday
Jan 30, 2018, YemenExtra, M.A.
Six Yemeni civilians were killed, including children, in numerous air raids and international banned cluster bombs waged by the Saudi-led coalition over the past 24 hours, according to official reports combined by Yemen Press Agency on Tuesday.
In Saada governorate, five-member family were killed in an airstrike on their home in Razeh district, while a child was killed when cluster bombs were dropped by a US-backed coalition warplane on Afra area of Munabeh district.
To continue with Saada, an airstrike struck Bani-Ma’en area in Razeh district, while eight airstrikes, including cluster bombs, targeted Alaf valley of Suhar district.
Meanwhile, the Saudi artillery and missile forces shelled several areas of Shada and Razeh bordering districts, damaging resident’s properties.
In Taiz governorate, Saudi-paid militias fired a Katyusha rocket toward a civilian’s home in Hawban area.
Moreover, the warplanes of coalition waged an airstrike on Dhabab district and six airstrikes on Salw district.
In Lahj governorate, seven Saudi American airstrikes rocked Karsh area.
In Hajjah governorate, seven Saudi-led coalition airstrikes hit Haradh and Medi districts.
Yemen 2018, the worst humanitarian crisis in the world”: UN
Jan 30, 2018, YemenExtra
We will witness the largest humanitarian crisis in the world, and unless the world moves to stop the war in Yemen, the disastrous humanitarian situation is likely to deteriorate further,” UN said during 2018.
UN gave to the international community a plan with a budget of nearly $ 3 billion – $ 2.96 billion – covering nine main aspects.
Over seven million people are severely hungry and don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Children are starving, fragile and underweight. Months of devastating airstrikes, shelling and fighting on the ground have left families struggling to survive.
The humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate with fuel shortages, rising food prices and a severe lack of basic services making daily survival a painful struggle for millions.
The UN has warned Yemen is at risk of famine, with 76 percent of the population in need of humanitarian aid.
Over four million people are malnourished, including nearly half a million children who are in a life-threatening condition.
Over 20 million people – 75 per cent of the population – need some sort of humanitarian aid.
Over 14 million people are lacking adequate water and sanitation facilities.
More than 17 million people in Yemen cannot be sure of having enough to eat each day.
Almost three million people have been forced to flee their homes due to the bombing and fighting.
War in Yemen: ‘The world isn’t paying enough attention’
As the war launched by the Saudi-American aggression, more than three-quarters of Yemenis are now in need of humanitarian aid and some 8.4 million people are at risk of famine, up from 6.8 million in 2017, the United Nations said.
“We appeal to parties on the ground in order to stave off famine so that we can continue regularly to get food, medicines in, be it from humanitarian or the commercial side,” UN’s WFP told a Geneva briefing.
The United Nations’ efforts to address what the UN secretary‑general has described as “the world’s largest humanitarian crisis” have been hampered by a crippling blockade imposed by the Saudi-led coalition.
In addition to violence and food shortages, communicable diseases have also taken a hold on the war-torn country.
Additionally, more than 1 million people have contracted cholera, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross.
People desperately need food and water, medicine and health services, they need aid that can reach them – ultimately they need the conflict to end so they can rebuild their lives. All those fuelling Yemen’s tragedy need to stop being arms brokers and start becoming peace brokers. The international community must redouble its efforts to help bring this crisis to a peaceful resolution.
***Share the link of this article with your facebook friends
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com