Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
News, December 2017
Poor Yemenis Continue to be Killed Daily in an Endless War by US-Saudi-Hadi Forces and by Houthis
December 20, 2017
US Airstrikes Kill 5 al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula Members in Yemen
From a U.S. Central Command News Release
U.S. airstrikes killed five al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula operatives in Yemen’s al-Bayda governorate Nov. 20, in an effort to disrupt the terrorist's attack networks, according to a U.S. Central Command news release issued today.
Mujahid al-Adani, an al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula Shabwah leader, was killed in the strikes, along with al-Bayda-based facilitator Abu Layth al-Sanaani and three terrorist network associates, the release said.
Al-Adani, also known as Mohammad Shukri, previously served as an al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula military leader in Aden and remained responsible for planning and conducting attacks against Yemeni and coalition forces. Al-Adani maintained a significant influence within al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula as well as close ties to other terrorist network senior leaders, according to the release.
The Shabwah offensive has forced al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula to consolidate within the northern and eastern portions of the Abyan and eastern al-Bayda governorates, respectively, the release said.
The removal of key al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula leaders and associates in this region, the release said, will further degrade the terrorist network's freedom of movement and operation, limiting their ability to challenge Yemeni security forces and coalition advances.
Paramount that civilians are protected in Yemen, underscores UN
UN News Center,
4 December 2017 –
Voicing concern over the dramatic escalation in fighting in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, and surrounding areas, that have reportedly killed about one hundred people and injured many more, the United Nations called on the parties to the conflict to uphold their obligations under international law and ensure that civilians are not harmed.
“It is paramount that civilians are protected, that the wounded are afforded safe access to medical care, and that all sides facilitate life-saving humanitarian access,” Stéphane Dujarric, the Spokesman for the Secretary-General, told reporters Monday at a regular press briefing at the UN Headquarters, in New York.
“We remind all parties to the conflict that deliberate attacks against civilians and against civilian and medical infrastructure are clear violations of international humanitarian law and may constitute war crimes.”
At the briefing, the UN spokesperson also said that relief workers in the city are not able to reach those in desperate need of help due to the sheer scale of violence and that there have been reports that ambulances have been attacked.
Renewing the Organization’s call on warring parties for an immediate cessation of hostilities in Sana’a, he added: “We cannot overemphasize that there is no military solution to the Yemen conflict. [We] stand ready to facilitate a negotiated political settlement that is inclusive, fair and sustainable.”
Earlier today, Jamie McGoldrick, the Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, highlighted the severity of the crisis and called for an urgent humanitarian pause to allow civilians to seek assistance, aid workers to reach them, and for the wounded to be evacuated.
I call on all parties to the conflict to urgently enable a humanitarian pause on Tuesday, 5 December, between 10.00 AM and 16.00 PM to allow civilians to leave their homes and seek assistance and protectionJamie McGoldrick, Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen
“The streets of Sana’a have become battlegrounds and people are trapped in their homes, unable to move out in search of safety and medical care and to access basic supplies such as food, fuel and safe water,” he said in a statement.
“I call on all parties to the conflict to urgently enable a humanitarian pause on Tuesday, 5 December, between 10.00 AM and 16.00 PM to allow civilians to leave their homes and seek assistance and protection,” he added.
Mr. McGoldrick also urged UN Member States with leverage on the parties to the conflict to step up their engagement “for the sake of the protection of the civilian population.”
Further in the statement, the senior UN relief official also stressed that deliberate attacks against civilians, humanitarians and health-care personnel, as well as against civilian and medical infrastructure, are clear violations of international humanitarian law and may constitute war crimes.
UN rights chief appoints experts to investigate violations and abuses in Yemen
In related news, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, Monday appointed members to the Group of Eminent Experts on Yemen, established by the Human Rights Council in September this year, to monitor and report on the situation in the war-torn country.
In the resolution, the Geneva-based Human Rights Council –the highest intergovernmental forum on human rights within the UN system – requested the experts to carry out a “comprehensive examination of all alleged violations and abuses of international human rights and other appropriate and applicable fields of international law committed by all parties to the conflict […] and to establish the facts and circumstances surrounding the alleged violations and abuses and, where possible, to identify those responsible.”
The members appointed Monday are Kamel Jendoubi (Tunisia), who will serve as chairperson, Charles Garraway (United Kingdom) and Melissa Parke (Australia).
“The group’s creation is an important step toward accountability and ending impunity for the serious violations of human rights committed by all sides in Yemen amid a worsening humanitarian crisis in the country, and ensuring justice and remedy for the victims,” said the UN rights chief, in a news release announcing the appointments.
According to the release, the experts will submit a comprehensive written report to the High Commissioner by September 2018.
News Tracker: past stories on this issue
The following news stories are from the pro-Saudi website Al-Masdar ( http://www.almasdaronline.com/category/42 ):
US military: we killed five al-Qaeda elements in Yemen,
including a leader
The US military said on Friday night that they have carried out
several air strikes on November 20 on the Yemeni al Bayda province,
killing five elements of al-Qaeda organization, including Mujahid al-Adani,
who he described as one of the organization's leaders.
Six civilians killed, eight wounded by Houthi shelling in
Six civilians were killed and eight others wounded on Thursday when
the Houthi militias attacked a residential neighborhood and a passenger
car western Taiz city, southwestern Yemen.
Government forces control al Khocha, advance to al Hodeidah
The government forces, backed by the Arab coalition forces, advanced
to Hays outskirts southern al Hodeidah province, western Yemen, after
they have took full control of the al Khokha district, Abu Musa al
Ash'ari camp and villages northern the district that are near to the
fishing port in al Haymah area near al Tuhayta district.
Al Jawf: Government forces capture Houthi leader and rockets
The government forces captured a leader of the Houthi group and
engineers specialized in launching heat rockets in Al-Jouf province,
northeast of Yemen, a military source said.
Government forces advance towards al Khocha district, groups of the Republican Guard join them
The government forces backed by the Arab coalition forces took
control on Wednesday western Taiz province, and headed towards Al Khocha
and Hays district southern al Hodeida province, western Yemen, a
military source told Almasdaronline.
Coalition intensive raids kill 12 Houthi, wound 17 others in
The Saudi-led Arab coalition aircraft have launched around 13 air
raids on the Houthi sites in al Zahari and Yakhtel outskirts areas
northern al Mocha city western Taiz province, southwestern Yemen,
resulting in the killing of 12 gunmen and wounding 17 others, as well as
destroying four military vehicles, Katyusha rockets launcher, and a
cannon, a military source told Almasdaronline
The following news stories are from the pro-Houthi website Yemen Extra (http://www.yemenextra.net/):
An offensive attack on the paid fighters’ sites in AL-Jawf province
Dec 10, 2017, YemenExtra
In response to the Saudi-led coalition’s nonstop air strikes that claimed the lives of about 13,000 people, mostly civilians , the Yemeni joint forces ,Sunday, carried out an offensive attack on the paid fighters’ sites in AL-Jawf province.
A military official told “YemenExtra” that a number of the paid fighters fell dead and wounded in attack by the Yemeni joint forces on their sites in Masloob district.
Dead , wounded amid Saudi-led coalition in Shabwah
Dec 10, 2017, YemenExtra
In response to the Saudi-led coalition’s fatal air strikes that claimed the lives of about 13,000 people, mostly civilians , the Yemeni joint forces ,Sunday, carried out three military operations on the paid fighters’ sites in Shabwah.
A military official told “YemenExtra” that units of the Yemeni joint forces attacked sites of the paid fighters in Shabwah.
The Yemeni joint forces were able to advance in Osilan front , inflicting the paid fighters heavy losses in lives and ammunitions.
Yemeni joint forces shells Saudi-led coalition’s paid fighters’ sites in Marib
Dec 10, 2017, YemenExtra
In response to the Saudi-led coalition’s fatal air strikes that claimed the lives of about 13,000 people, mostly civilians , the artillery of the Yemeni joint forces shelled gatherings of the Saudi-led coalition’s paid fighters in al-Makhdara area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official told “YemenExtra” on Sunday.
The artillery shelling , in addition, aimed the paid fighters in al-Tibab al-Sood (black hills) in al-Makhdara, which led to a number of deaths and injuries in their ranks.
Zelzal 2 Rocket Hits Dozens of Coalition’s Forces in Shabwa
Dec 10, 2017, YemenExtra
On Sunday, December 10, 2017, a rocket-propelled fired by Yemeni army forces at a cluster of Coalition’s mercenaries in Shabwa province.
In this targets,Yemeni military source confirmed the death and wounding of a number of mercenaries after targeting their communities with a missile of type “Zelzal 2” in the province of Shabwa.
You Are Not Safe If You Are in a Local Market in Yemen: Graphic
Dec 10, 2017, YemenExtra
According to a local source, the Saudi-led coalition conducted four raids on Saturday targeting the local market in Nehm District, outskirts of the capital Sana’a, dubbed Khalqa Popular Market, killing five citizens and destroying 3 cars.
The warplanes also launched three more raids on the aforementioned district, including a raid on the area of Alhnashat. source confirmed.
Such crime is only one of the series of crimes perpetrated by the Saudi-led coalition against citizens amid the silence of the international community.
Saudi Warplanes Destroy Two Houses in Hajjah Governorate
Dec 10, 2017, YemenExtra
The Saudi-led coalition launched two raids on Thursday targeting the homes of Sheikh Walid Abu Dunya and his brother Ahmed Abu Dunya in Uzlah Al-Dhufair based in Mabyan District, Hajjah Governorate.
The two airstrikes led to the complete destruction of the houses along with damaging several nearby houses. In addition, three civilians sustained various wounds, according to a local source close to YemenExtra.
Mabyan District have witnessed several war crimes since the beginning of the Saudi war against Yemen in March 26, however, such humanitarian violations increased after Ansarullah foiled an attempted sedition, led by the Saudi-led coalition, using former Yemeni president Saleh.
***Share the link of this article with your facebook friends
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com