Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
News, January 2016
Saudi-Led Air Strikes on Yemeni Cities, Various Yemeni Factions Attack Each Other, More Refugees in Omran and Ma'rib
January 30, 2016
Suspects arrested over Aden attacks admit to Al Houthi links
Gulf News (AFP), January 30, 2016
Yemen’s interior minister accuses Saleh of sabotoging Yemen’s security forces
Al Mukalla: Suspects believed to be involved in a string of attacks in Aden have admitted to links with Al Houthi militants and ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh, Yemen’s interior minister said on Saturday.
The men were recently arrested in Aden and questioned by authorities.
“They admitted to receiving support from Al Houthis in the capital,” Major General Hussain Arab said.
“We have also seized firearms and explosives belonging to them,” Arab told Gulf News in a telephone interview from his base in Aden.
“We will put them on trial when judicial authorities resume their work and show the public who exactly is supporting them,” he added.
Since Aden was liberated from Al Houthi control, the country’s temporary capital has been plagued with daily drive-by shootings and suicide attacks. Dozens of security personnel have been killed as a result.
Arab said he was confident that a security plan announced last week by Yemeni Prime Minister Khalid Bahah would be a comprehensive solution and bring stability once again to the city.
He said he ordered the merger of 4,000 resistance fighters into security forces in Aden.
Yemen’s internationally recognised government has been under the international limelight after a string of attacks recently claimed by Daesh terrorists.
An attack on Thursday struck near the presidential palace. Aden’s governor was assassinated in December and its new governor has escaped an attempt on his life.
Al Qaida and Daesh have exploited the security vacuum to take control of some cities like Zinjabar and Jaar in Abyan and the city of Mukalla, the capital of Hadramout province.
“People do not understand that the security forces which operated under Saleh’s rule for 25 years have been completely destroyed,” Arab said.
“Saleh has used his influence to sabotage the force by asking security personnel to stay away from work.”
Regarding other provinces, the minister said that the government is collecting local fighters and rebuilding some damaged security buildings. “We have forces being trained at Al Anad base, in Aden and elsewhere,”
Supported by forces loyal to Saleh, Al Houthis pushed into the restive south in March and were close from capturing Aden when Saudi Arabia put together an Arab military coalition and managed to blunt their advance.
Prince Miteb visits soldiers were injured during a border defense mission in the southern region of Najran.
Arab News, January 30, 2016
National Guard Minister Prince Miteb bin Abdullah has paid a visit to
the injured troops at the King Abdulaziz Medical City and conveyed the
greetings from Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman to Corporal
Walid bin Hamad Al-Otaibi, Mohammed bin Falah Al-Shammari, and Abdi
Mohammed bin Anzi.
Prince Miteb wished them a speedy recovery and commended their
courage and determination in carrying out their duties.
They said the injuries they sustained are a badge of honor and pride as they defended the country and its religion.
The following Arabic news stories are from the anti-Saudi website, Al-Motamar ( http://www.almotamar.net/news/ ).
Most of these news stories cover the continuous Saudi-led air strikes on the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, and other provincial cities, destroying government buildings, infrastructure, residential areas, and commercial sites.
A major consequence, in addition to the death and destruction as a result of these air strikes, has been an increasing number of Yemeni families becoming refugees in tent camps, after the destruction of their homes. One story reports that about 34,000 Yemeni families have become refugees in the Omran Province and about 7,000 families have become refugees in Ma'rib Province.
يدمر شبكة إتصالات في مفرق الجوف بمأرب
يشن 3 غارات على مديرية نهم بصنعاء
Al-Motamar, Monday, 25-January-2016
Almotamar.net - The number of the displaced families from inside and
outside Mareb province amounted to 7,700 families due to the Saudi
aggression on Yemen.
***Share this article with your facebook friends
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com