Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
News, March 2011
Reactions to US-Led Attacks on Libya from Qadhafi, African Union, China, Russia
March 20, 2011
"We will defeat you": Gaddafi tells Western forces
TRIPOLI, March 20, (Xinhua) --
Embattled Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi vowed on Sunday to snatch a victory over Western forces which began on Saturday to launch air strikes against his troops, called these attacks "a crusader war" against the Libyan people.
"We will not leave the West to enjoy the Libyan oil," he said.
Gaddafi vowed the coalition which started to attack his forces will collapse at the end, saying his government had opened up weapons depots to all Libyans.
"Weapons are being given to all citizens," he said in a brief audio message carried out by Libya's official TV, calling the Western forces to start ground military operations.
The world's major powers, Britain, the United States and France, started earlier on Saturday to launch strikes from the air and sea against Gaddafi's forces after the UN Security Council had passed a resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and protect civilians in Libya.
France carried out an initial four air strikes, while the U.S. military said 112 Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired from American and British ships and submarines at more than 20 Libyan coastal targets.
AU panel says opposed to foreign military intervention in Libya: media report
NOUAKCHOTT, March 19, 2011 (Xinhua) --
The high-level African Union panel on the Libya crisis has said it opposes any foreign military intervention in Libya, media report said on Saturday.
AFP quoted Mauritanian President Ould Abdel Aziz as saying that the panel rejects any kind of foreign military intervention in Libya.
The Mauritanian president said that the situation in the north African country demands urgent action so an African solution can be found to the very serious crisis.
Aziz also said the solution to the Libya crisis must take into account "Our desire that Libya's unity and territorial integrity be respected as well as the rejection of any kind of foreign military intervention ."
The AU panel on the Libya crisis, which was formed a week ago, comprises Mauritanian President Ould Abdel Aziz, South African President Jacob Zuma, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, President of the Republic of Congo Denis Sassou Nguesso and Malian President Amadou Toumani Toure.
AU said the ad hoc committee was set up to engage with all parties in Libya, facilitate in an inclusive dialogue among them, and engage AU parties for the speedy resolution of the crisis in Libya.
AU has rejected foreign military intervention in Libya.
France, the United States and Britain said on Saturday that they had conducted air strikes on Libyan targets.
The air strikes came after the UN Security Council on Thursday adopted a resolution to authorize a no-fly zone over Libya and called for "all necessary measures," excluding troops on the ground, to protect civilians under threat of attack in the North African country.
They also came after leaders from some Arab countries and main Western powers, at their Paris summit on Saturday, announced the start of military action against Libyan government forces.
Editor: Mu Xuequan
Russia regrets military actions against Libya
MOSCOW, March 19, 2011 (Xinhua) --
Russia regretted the military intervention led by foreign countries in Libya, the Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in a Saturday statement.
Lukashevich also said the military actions against Libya was based on a "hastily passed" UN Security Council resolution.
"In Moscow, we regret this armed action within the hastily passed UNSCR Resolution 1973," the statement said.
The Resolution 1973 authorizes the use of force and the creation of a no-fly zone in Libya, where rebels and the government have been clashing for several weeks.
The statement also called for a cease-fire in the north African country as soon as possible.
Editor: Mu Xuequan
China expresses regret for military strike against Libya
BEIJING, March 20, 2011 (Xinhua) --
China's Foreign Ministry on Sunday expressed regret over the multinational military strike against Libya, saying that it did not agree with resorting to force in international relations.
"China has noticed the latest development in Libya and regrets the military strike against Libya," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said.
China, as it always, does not agree with the use of force in international relations, Jiang said, when asked to comment on the strike carried out by multinational forces early Sunday.
China believes that the tenet and principles of the United Nations Charter and relevant international laws should be adhered to, and Libya's sovereignty, independence, unification and territory integrity should be respected, she said.
"We hope stability could be restored in Libya as soon as possible so as to avoid more civilian casualties caused by the escalation of military conflicts," she said.
Moscow urges western nations to stop indiscriminate use of force in Libya
Goran Tomasevic 16:06 20/03/2011
MOSCOW, March 20, 2011 (RIA Novosti)
Russia urges western nations to stop the indiscriminate use of force in Libya, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
"The reports say that during air raids on Libya strikes were also delivered on non-military facilities... As a result, 48 civilians are reported dead and over 150 wounded," the ministry said in a statement.
'In this connection, we are calling on the respective states to halt the indiscriminate use of force," the statement said.
The military operation against Libya's strongman Muammar Gaddafi who has ruled the country with an iron fist for more than 40 years began on Saturday, involving the United States, Britain, France, Italy, Canada and other countries.
A new UN Security Council resolution on Libya adopted on Thursday encompasses a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures" against forces loyal to Gaddafi.
Libyan television reported citing military officials that at least 50 civilians were killed and over 150 wounded in military attacks of the coalition forces, adding that many health and education facilities were ruined.Libya says UN SC resolution on no-fly zine invalid
REUTERS/ ECPAD/SIRPA AIR/Anthony Jeuland 05:37 20/03/2011
CAIRO, March 20, 2011 (RIA Novosti)
Libyan television reported citing military officials that at least 50 people were killed and over 150 wounded in military attacks of the coalition forces.
Libya has called the UN Security Council resolution imposing a no-fly zone over the country as invalid, JANA news agency reported on Sunday citing a statement from the Libyan Foreign Ministry.
The new UN Security Council resolution on Libya was adopted on Thursday; it encompasses a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures" against forces loyal to Libya's leader Muammar Gaddafi.
"Libya preserves the right to use military and civil aviation for self-defense, after France violated air space closed for flights," the ministry said in a statement.
The military operation against the pro-Gaddafi forces involving the United States, Britain, France, Italy and Canada began on Saturday.
The ministry also urged for an immediate session of the UN Security Council in regard to the aggression on behalf of France, Britain and the United States.
"Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya calls for an urgent session of the UN Security Council in connection with the aggression of France, Britain and the united States against Libya, which is an independent country and a member of the United Nations," the statement said.
Paris has taken the leading role in coordinating the world's response to the turmoil. U.S., British and French military have all launched strikes against Gaddafi.
Around 20 French Rafale and Mirage warplanes were sent to patrol the skies over the city of Benghazi. Since the beginning of the attack, the French aviation has destroyed four government tanks in the neighborhoods of the rebellious city.
U.S. Pentagon reported earlier that a U.S. warship fired 110 Tomahawk cruise missiles at Gaddafi's air defense sites. The U.S. operation is named "Odyssey Dawn".
Libyan television reported citing military officials that at least 50 people were killed and over 150 wounded in military attacks of the coalition forces, adding that many health and education facilities were ruined.
CAIRO, March 20 (RIA Novosti)
Gaddafi says arming Libyan people to fight against 'foreign aggression' France denies reports of losing its warplane over Libya Western warplanes bomb civilian targets, oil depots in Libya - media Moscow regrets western mission over Libya
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org