Editorial Note: The
following news reports are summaries from original sources. They may
also include corrections of Arabic names and political terminology.
Comments are in parentheses.
Al-Walaja Oldest Living Olive Tree Threatened
of Destruction by Israeli Occupation Forces
Al-Walaja villagers rally to save oldest living olive tree from
destruction by Israeli occupation forces
Monday August 15, 2011 11:33 by Saed
Bannoura/Mazin Qumsiyeh - IMEMC News
On Saturday August 13, 2011, a show of nonviolent popular resistance
occurred in Al-Walaja village, west of Bethlehem.
The Israeli occupation and destruction army had mobilized in large numbers, anticipating the
villagers' weekly protest. They watched, but did not intervene as Al-Walaja
landowners and supporters cleaned and pruned the olive grove that is
slated for partial demolition and full annexation by the Israeli
At a protest earlier this week in Al-Walaja, Israeli
arrested a dozen supporters, including Israelis who came to support the
Al-Walaja villagers' right to remain on their land.
of Al-Walaja, which was illegally annexed by Israel in the 1990s, is
slated to be completely surrounded by the Israeli Annexation Wall, which
is already the situation for a number of Palestinian towns and cities,
including Sheikh Sa'ad and Qalqilia.
In addition to imprisoning
2,500 people inside a ghetto and separating them from their land, which
is their only source of livelihood, the Israeli construction of the Wall
in Al-Walaja is also slated to destroy the oldest living olive tree in
the Bethlehem area, dated at between 3,600 and 4,000 years old.
Villagers who gathered on Saturday said that they are steadfast in their
commitment to protecting and defending their land through non-violent
One villager, Abu Wajih's, told his story to a
supporter with a camera who filmed an interview with the olive farmer.
All but two of Abu Wajih's olive trees will be behind the wall, as will
the old house where his wife was born and that belongs to his family. In
the interview, he says that he appreciates help of people regardless of
their religion and background.
Israeli forces abduct three Palestinian children in East
Sunday August 14, 2011 21:10 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC News
According to local sources, Israeli occupation forces invaded the
Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan, in Occupied East Jerusalem, on
Sunday morning and abducted two young children and a teenager, taking
them to an unknown location.
The Israeli occupation forces
alleged that the three boys threw stones at the police, although no
eyewitnesses were able to confirm this claim.
A member of the
Silwan Committee Against Settlements, Abdul-Karim, identified the three
boys as Mussellem Moussa Auda, 11, Mohamad Auda, 13, and Kadhem Abu
A group of Israeli undercover forces invaded the
neighborhood on Sunday morning, and began firing tear gas and stun
grenades at residents who gathered in the street.
neighborhood of Silwan has been targeted by the Israeli government for
the last two years as part of a plan to build a 'tourist park' and
Jewish-only housing on the traditionally Palestinian neighborhood.
Dozens of local families have received demolition orders from the
Israeli government, which then destroys their ancestral homes. Some
families rendered homeless by the Israeli government have set up tents
in the street to continue living in their neighborhood, and to protest
what they say is the illegal demolition of their homes.
abductions of children are illegal under international law, Israeli
forces frequently take young children into custody without informing
their parents - often, the parents are unable to locate their children
for several days, creating an atmosphere of panic and fear among
On Saturday, troops kidnapped Ahmad Al-Harbawi, 18,
while he was walking back to his family’s home in Silwan.
residents of Silwan have been holding a protest at a protest tent that
was installed in Silwan more than 18 months ago to express their
rejection to the ongoing illegal Israeli policies of home demolition and
Israeli settlers’ takeover of their homes.
were killed and injured in Silwan due to constant Israeli invasions and
attacks against them. The residents said they will remain steadfast in
their homes and land despite the ongoing aggression. The European
Parliament recently launched an inquiry into the treatment of children
in Israeli detention. Israel has no juvenile detention facilities for
Palestinian detainees, and the children are thus lodged in adult
According to Defence of Children International, 27%
of child prisoners are forced to sign confessions in Hebrew, a language
they do not know, 55% of Palestinian child detainees complain of
inadequate food, water or shelter, and no Palestinian child prisoners
are allowed to speak with their families by phone.
This site contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors
and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.